Alexandria Library Company
The collection consists of circulation, subscription, and financial ledgers, annual lecture series documents, catalogues, correspondence, and various organizational documentation--by-laws, copy of the charter, etc. Topics include: foundation of the Alexandria Library Company and its various cycles of growth and decline; the formation of the local public library system; and the on-going activities of the Alexandria Library Company.
Early records transferred from the Alexandria Library Society upon the formation of the library in 1937. The early minutes had been donated back to them by the Leadbeater family in 1922. Microfilm copies of the 1815 catalog, its supplement, and the 1856 catalog were a gift of Alan Reese on 3/1/1949, the 1815 was made from an original at the Library of Congress. Much of the Annual Lecture Series was donated by Magnum Weeks. And later records were donated by the Alexandria Library Company.
One correspondence file restricted
7.75 Linear Feet (15 boxes) : 12.5 legal size boxes, 1 oversize box, and one record storage carton of audio-visual material. ; Oz 25 x 20 x 2.5