Historic House Tours Collection (MS059)
This collection contains booklets created by the Auxiliary Board, Alexandria Hospital for the historic house tours of old Alexandria. This is an open collection starting from 1931, with the exception of a few years. Research and writing was performed by various people.
- Publication: 1931 - 2017
Biographical / Historical
In 1933, a group of twenty-four young women gathered at the home of Mrs. Julian T. Burke to form the Junior Auxiliary of the Alexandria Hospital. They took the name “The Twig” from a contest entry by Mrs. Nellie Sommers Blackwell; this described the new organization as a small branch of the “tree” which supported the hospital. The Auxiliary is currently associated with the INOVA Alexandria Hospital and hosts annual home tours in Old Town Alexandria.
.83 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
A third copy of the 1939 house history was purchased on ebay in March 2019.
- Historic House Tours Collection Finding Aid
- Giovanni Sciannameo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Local History and Special Collections Branch, Alexandria Library Repository
717 Queen Street
Alexandria VA 22314 United States