Esther Holliday Green Collection (MS073)
This collection consists of six series: Correspondence, Literary Productions, Printed Material, Financial Documents, Women's Auxiliary of the American Legion, and Green Family. The correspondence series holds letters only to and from Esther Green. Included three folders (Box 73 Folders 1-3) with letters from Robert Rutledge, a youth for whom she helped secure a DuPont scholarship to the University of Virginia. While in college he updated her on his progress. Correspondence to and from other family members is located in the Green Family series. Approximately half of the collection concerns the Green Family. Several folders (Box 73.2 Folders 5-9) deal with an estate for which Richard Green was the executor. The Green Family series also contains genealogical information relating to the Muir, Magyar, and Green families and a few pieces relating to family businesses, Green and Bro. Furniture Co., and the Green Mansion House Hotel.
- Green family (Family)
Biographical / Historical
William Green, his second wife, Mary Martindale Green, and seven children including his son James Green, came to Alexandria, VA in 1817 from England. William Green and son James established a furniture manufacturing business about 1827. After Green died in 1824, James and the other sons continued running the successful business.
In 1848 James Green purchased Carlyle House and used it as a residence for his family - wife, Jane Muir Green and nine children. Becayse he felt the area demanded it, James Green built the Mansion House Hotel in 1849 and it was known as the "Green Mansion House." It was built to the north, west, and south of the Carlyle property. The property was sold in 1880 after his death.
James Green's daughter, Jane Eliza Green married Robtert Stanton Stringfellow who was from Culpeper County, VA in 1855. Robert Stringfellow remained at the Mansion House as a clerk until the late 1870's. His daughters, Anna Muir Stringfellow born 1856 and Mary Jame Stringfellow born 1858, grew up living at the Mansion House. Sometime prior to 1880, Robert Stringfellow moved his family to Culpeper County, Jane Eliza Green Stringfellow died. Robert Stringfellow died in 1882 and Anna Muir Stringfellow died in 1883, never marrying. Mary Jane Stringfellow married Atwell Somverville in 1884. She died in 1936. James Green's sons, Stephen A. Green married Margaret P. Mayger in 1859. They had six children, among them son Richard M. Green brn in 1860. He married Annie Esther Yohe in 1890. Richard M. Green was a vice president of the Citizen's National Bank in Alexandria. Richard and Annie had two children, Esther Holliday Green and Richard Muir Green, Jr. Esther born in 1891 and Richard, Jr. born in 1896. Neither ever married.
Esther Green lived in Alexandria during most, if not all, of her life. She was active in women's clubs and held several positions in the Cameron Club and in the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs (See related collections). During World War I, she was also active in the Red Cross. Richard Green Jr., served in the Army during WWI in Franche and was with the Advanced Ordinance Depot. He was first stationed in New York and then sent to France where he remained until the end of the war. He returned to Alexandria where he worked and was involved in various organizations and died in 1971.
1.84 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
Six series: Series I: Correspondence Series II:Literary Productions Series III: Printed Material Series IV: Financial Documents Series V: Women's Auxiliary of the American Legion Series VI: Green Family.
Preservica Internal URL
- Green family (Family)
- Mayger family (Family)
- Muir family (Family)
- Rutledge, Richard (Person)
- Green, Esther Holiday, 1889-1981 (Person)
- Green and Bros. Furniture Company (Organization)
- Green Mansion House Hotel (Organization)
- Green, Richard Mayger, 1860-1941 (Person)
- Esther Holliday Green Finding Aid
- R. Holtz
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Local History and Special Collections Branch, Alexandria Library Repository
717 Queen Street
Alexandria VA 22314 United States