Skip to main content

Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Robert Andrews Dist. 417 (MS204)

 Collection
Identifier: MS204
The collection contains loose pages and one ledger. There are missing pages and some existing pages are difficult to read due to damage. The loose pages appear to have been part of a ledger in which minutes were kept for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Robert Andrews Dist. 417 . Entries found in the minutes indicate the organization was one that assisted retired and/or injured railroad workers financially. Within the ledger, members names and dues amounts paid each month are listed. The names listed are men who lived in the City of Alexandria or the nearby surrounding area. They worked or were still working for the railroad at time of membership. The ledger used for the names and dues records shows the heading “Virginia Midland Railway” at the top of each page.

Dates

  • 1886-1904

Creator

Extent

.23 Cubic Feet (1 box)

Biographical / Historical

The Orange and Alexandria Railroad was established in 1854 and was part of the rail system which ran from Washington, D.C. to Danville, VA. By 1872, and after several mergers with other small railroads, the Orange, Alexandria, & Manassas Gap Railroad and the Lynchburg & Danville Railroad consolidated to form the Virginia Midland Railroad. In 1881, the Virginia Midland Railroad was purchased by the Richmond & Danville Railroad and by 1894 had become a part of the Southern Railroad system.

Arrangement

Organized in chronological order
Title
Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Robert Andrews Dist 417 Finding Aid
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Local History and Special Collections Branch, Alexandria Library Repository

Contact:
717 Queen Street
Alexandria VA 22314 United States
703-746-1791