Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Content Description These papers reflect Armistead Boothe's advocacy of civil rights legislation, and his political activity with such issues as public schools, transportation, segregation and other political issues in Virginia, especially during the late 1940s and early 1950s. Personal papers in this collection relate to family matters such as Gardner Boothe's courtship of Eleanor Carr and to Armistead Boothe's school and military experiences. The collection includes scrapbooks, journals, albums, memorabilia...
Content Description This collection consists of six series: Correspondence, Literary Productions, Printed Material, Financial Documents, Women's Auxiliary of the American Legion, and Green Family. The correspondence series holds letters only to and from Esther Green. Included three folders (Box 73 Folders 1-3) with letters from Robert Rutledge, a youth for whom she helped secure a DuPont scholarship to the University of Virginia. While in college he updated her on his progress. Correspondence to and from other...
Content Description This collection contains booklets created by the Auxiliary Board, Alexandria Hospital for the historic house tours of old Alexandria. This is an open collection starting from 1931, with the exception of a few years. Research and writing was performed by various people.
Content Description This collection has three series: the papers of JT Ricketts, of Norris Cummings and of Helen Cummings. The Ricketts series makes up the bulk of the collection. Its main focus is on Ricketts' business records, but some personal documents are included. The business records contain financial, legal and administrative materials. They trace the rise of T. Wattson & Sons from a small bakery into an industrial "steam" bakery that supplied organizations such as the US Navy with packaged bread...
Content Description Collection documents the ancestral lines of Dr. Robert Conrad Powell and his wife, Mary Crawford Gregory, also the ancestral lines of Ruth Ashton the wife of Dr. Lewellyn Powell. Done for the benefit of the children by their Grandmother.
Content Description The collection consists of four series: house histories, genealogy, publications, and miscellaneous. The collection contains reports, bound volumes, photos, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, and correspondences. The first and largest series is the complete research on various house histories in the Alexandria, Virginia area, most notably in Old Town. The second series of the collection is genealogical research on various families who have roots in Northern Virginia and Alexandria. The two...
Scope and Contents This collection consists of letters, notes, business documents, and genealogical research from and on the Shakes, Carne, and Ficklin families. The materials were donated by various uknown donors from 1983-2015 and compiled into a collection created by Alexandria Library's Lloyd House and later Local History/Special Collections branch.
- Subject: Alexandria (Va.) -- Genealogy X
- Alexandria Canal Company 1
- Alexandria Water Company 1
- Boothe Family 1
- Boothe, Armistead L. (Armistead Lloyd), 1907-1990 1
- Boothe, Eleanor Harrison Carr, 1881-1968 1
- Boothe, Gardner L. (Gardner Lloyd), 1872-1964 1
- Boothe, William J. (William Jeremiah), 1816-1894 1
- Carne, Cecilia Catherine Latruite (Shakes), 1804-1891 1
- Carne, Richard L., 1797-1867 1
- Carr Family 1
- Carr, Joseph Armistead, 1867-1901 1
- Cummings, Helen Norris, 1865-1949 1
- Cummings, Norris Stanley, 1834-1904 1
- Ficklin, Cecelia M., 1876-1951 1
- Ficklin, M. J. Kroes, 1872-1962 1
- Ficklin, Theodore H., 1846-1919 1
- Green Mansion House Hotel 1
- Green and Bros. Furniture Company 1
- Green family 1
- Green, Esther Holiday, 1889-1981 1
- Green, Richard Mayger, 1860-1941 1
- Harrison Family 1
- Kaye, Ruth Lincoln, 1918-2014 1
- Kirby, Mary Eleanor (Shakes), 1818-1863 1
- Mayger family 1
- Muir family 1
- Potomac, Piedmont and Valley Agricultural Society (Alexandria, Va.) 1
- Powell, Mary Crawford (Gregory), 1847-1928 1
- Ricketts, John Thomas, 1805-1863 1
- Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow, 1861-1948. 1
- Rutledge, Richard 1
- Shakes, Amanda, 1805-1861 1
- Shakes, John, 1775-1860 1
- Shakes, Sarah (LaTruite), 1786-1845 1 ∧ less