Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 16
Content Description These papers reflect Armistead Boothe's advocacy of civil rights legislation, and his political activity with such issues as public schools, transportation, segregation and other political issues in Virginia, especially during the late 1940s and early 1950s. Personal papers in this collection relate to family matters such as Gardner Boothe's courtship of Eleanor Carr and to Armistead Boothe's school and military experiences. The collection includes scrapbooks, journals, albums, memorabilia...
Content Description Family papers, letters, wills, and deeds of the Chapman Family of Maryland and Virginia.
Content Description The collection consists of research materials, clippings and correspondence relating to the Ruebush, Funk, Moon, and Andrews families. The materials were gathered by Bertha A. (Betsy) Curtin as she researched her ancestors.
Content Description The collection consists of articles, notes correspondence, clippings, and printed matter written and collected by Mrs. Templeman. A full set (1921- 1994), mostly bound, of the annual reports of the Society of the Lees of Virginia is included. Duplicate copies found in the collection were retained for their value as Mrs. Templeman’s working copies and feature marginalia and corrections. Thirty-five positive prints, four negatives and one transparency have been transferred to the Photographic...
Content Description This collection consists of six series: Correspondence, Literary Productions, Printed Material, Financial Documents, Women's Auxiliary of the American Legion, and Green Family. The correspondence series holds letters only to and from Esther Green. Included three folders (Box 73 Folders 1-3) with letters from Robert Rutledge, a youth for whom she helped secure a DuPont scholarship to the University of Virginia. While in college he updated her on his progress. Correspondence to and from other...
Content Description This collection contains booklets created by the Auxiliary Board, Alexandria Hospital for the historic house tours of old Alexandria. This is an open collection starting from 1931, with the exception of a few years. Research and writing was performed by various people.
Collection — Assorted Box: 1
Content Description The collection consists of the research materials used by Dr. Lynch in writing The Custis Chronicles. Materials include correspondence; copies of wills, inventories and other documents; and articles and other publications about the Custis family.
Content Description The collection contains organizational records of the Alexandria Archaeological Commission as well as correspondence with the Smithsonian Institution prior to the 1975 formation of the Alexandria Archaeological Commission. Clippings, research notes and archaeology notes are included as well. Topics include: formation of the Alexandria Archaeology Commission, archaeological digs along King Street, research on the Henry Piercy family, and area merchants.
Content Description This collection has three series: the papers of JT Ricketts, of Norris Cummings and of Helen Cummings. The Ricketts series makes up the bulk of the collection. Its main focus is on Ricketts' business records, but some personal documents are included. The business records contain financial, legal and administrative materials. They trace the rise of T. Wattson & Sons from a small bakery into an industrial "steam" bakery that supplied organizations such as the US Navy with packaged bread...
Collection — Assorted Box: 2
Content Description The collection contains handwritten abstracts/summaries of letters dated 1838-1857 held in the University of Virginia. These are mainly written by John Toole to his wife, Mary Jane Suddarth Toole, but also other including his children, George and Jennie Toole, and a friend, Tom Moore. The letters concern Toole's experiences and accomplishments as a traveling portraitist, his children's education, John and Jennie's letters to their mother from the Virginia Military Institute and Petersburg...
- Subject: Genealogy X
- Alexandria Canal Company 1
- Alexandria Water Company 1
- Andrews family 1
- Boothe Family 1
- Boothe, Armistead L. (Armistead Lloyd), 1907-1990 1
- Boothe, Eleanor Harrison Carr, 1881-1968 1
- Boothe, Gardner L. (Gardner Lloyd), 1872-1964 1
- Boothe, William J. (William Jeremiah), 1816-1894 1
- Carne, Cecilia Catherine Latruite (Shakes), 1804-1891 1
- Carne, Richard L., 1797-1867 1
- Carr Family 1
- Carr, Joseph Armistead, 1867-1901 1
- Chapman Family 1
- Cummings, Helen Norris, 1865-1949 1
- Cummings, Norris Stanley, 1834-1904 1
- Curtin, Bertha A. 1
- Custis family 1
- Ficklin, Cecelia M., 1876-1951 1
- Ficklin, M. J. Kroes, 1872-1962 1
- Ficklin, Theodore H., 1846-1919 1
- Funk family 1
- Green Mansion House Hotel 1
- Green and Bros. Furniture Company 1
- Green family 1
- Green, Esther Holiday, 1889-1981 1
- Green, Richard Mayger, 1860-1941 1
- Harrison Family 1
- Kaye, Ruth Lincoln, 1918-2014 1
- Kirby, Mary Eleanor (Shakes), 1818-1863 1
- Lee family 1
- Lynch, James B., Jr., Dr., 1919-2008 1
- MacGill, Margaert M. O'Meara, 1919-2008 1
- Mayger family 1
- McKnight family 1
- Moon family 1
- Muir family 1
- Parke family 1
- Pickens, John K., 1918-1976 1
- Potomac, Piedmont and Valley Agricultural Society (Alexandria, Va.) 1
- Powell, Mary Crawford (Gregory), 1847-1928 1
- Ramsay House 1
- Ramsay family 1
- Reese, Rebecca (Ramsay), 1870-1955 1
- Ricketts, John Thomas, 1805-1863 1
- Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow, 1861-1948. 1
- Ruebush family 1
- Rutledge, Richard 1
- Shakes, Amanda, 1805-1861 1
- Shakes, John, 1775-1860 1
- Shakes, Sarah (LaTruite), 1786-1845 1
- Templeman, Eleanor Lee ((Reading)), 1906-1990 1
- Toole, John, 1815-1860 1
- Toole, Mary Jane Suddarth, 1817-1902 1
- Washington family 1 ∧ less