Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Content Description The collection contains building specifications for Alexandria buildings and businesses.
Content Description The collection consists of books, correspondence related to the restoration of the Gadsby portraits painted by John Gadsby Chapman, and material related to Dickman's works.
Content Description This collection consists of Mrs. Cox's research files and manuscripts, as well as papers from her membership in HAF. Research files contain typed and handwritten notes, news clippings, and correspondence. The main focus of the collection is in support of "Street by Street". Included are the Historic American Building Survey inventories of Worth Baily. Also in the collection are manuscripts and notes of several projects that Mrs. Cox assisted on, and pamphlets related to Alexandria History or...
Dates: 1956 - 1980
Content Description Reports, minutes, correspondence, and surveys documenting HAF's formation, relationships to other volunteer organizations, and more than three decades of HAF's preservation projects and concerns. HAF also plaqued historic properties, sponsored the Alexandria Antique Show, and funded preservation grants. In addition, files of correspondence, programs, and publications from other historic preservation projects provide evidence for the history of preservation not only in Alexandria, but as a...
Content Description The records in this collection cover the financial transactions of the Landmarks Society, from its founding in 1933-34, through 1976. Included are all of the disbursements from 1934-1944, a financial account book from 1952-1960, and Treasury Reports from 1963-1975, calculated by Esther Holliday Green, the Treasurer of the Landmarks Society. The Internal Revenue Income Tax Exemption Forms, application for an Alexandria City License and Annual Reports to the State Corporation Commission of...
Content Description The collection includes organizational papers, minutes, correspondence, and other materials documenting NOTICe’s formation, relationships to other organizations and various projects and concerns. The Minutes series is the biggest. The set of minutes is fairly complete; however there are occasional gaps where we have only the agenda for a meeting.
Scope and Contents Records kept by Polly Hulfish during the time the Old Alexandria Restoration, Inc. organization was in business (1961-1974). These records consist of documents pertaining to almost 100 houses in Alexandria purchased and renovated/restored by the organization. Documents include those covering the purchase and sale of each property, receipts from the businesses that provided services and materials, tax records, employment records, blueprints and drawings, photographs, news items, all...
Content Description This collection consists of Mr. McNulty’s Alexandria research notes and related documentation. Materials include photocopies of his notes from Alexandria Gazette; photocopied and hand-drawn maps of the areas under consideration; photocopies of deeds and other legal records; correspondence; and other research materials.
Dates: 1970 - 1991
Content Description This collection pertains to the house on 607 Oronoco Street. The Sayers opened the house for Garden Week in Virginia, the Tour of Interiors and the Alexandria Garden Club Tour of Five Estates. Included are the pamphlets for the Tour of Interiors of Historic Homes in Alexandria and Garden Week in Virginia and the registers from the Tour of Historic Homes for the 1934 to 1941 period.
- Subject: Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Alexandria -- Conservation and restoration X
- Historic districts -- Virginia -- Alexandria 4
- Gadsby's Tavern Museum 2
- Historic Alexandria Foundation 2
- Historic districts -- Conservation and restoration -- United States. 2
- Houses -- Virginia -- Alexandria. 2
- Alexandria (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Alexandria (Va.) -- History. 1
- Alexandria Academy 1
- Archaeology. 1
- Architecture -- Virginia -- Alexandria. 1
- Buildings -- Specifications 1
- Carlyle House (Alexandria, Va.) 1
- City planning -- Virginia -- Alexandria 1
- Community development -- Alexandria -- Virginia 1
- Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 -- Homes and haunts. 1
- Letters. 1
- Lloyd House 1
- Lyceum (Alexandria, Va.) 1
- Old Town (Alexandria, Va.) 1
- Privies 1
- Robert E. Lee Boyhood Home 1
- The Alexandria Association 1
- Urban development -- Virginia -- Alexandria 1
- Urban renewal. 1
- Windmill Hill Park 1
- apothecary shops 1 ∧ less
- Cox, Ethelyn, 1908-1988 2
- Bryant, J. C. Herbert ((John Carlyle Herbert)), 1909-1983 1
- Dickman, William J. 1
- Gadsby, John, 1766-1844 1
- Hulfish, Marianne "Polly" Minnigerode (Maigne), 1908-1981 1
- Joynt, John Howard 1
- Kabler, Dorothy, 1918-2017 1
- Kabler, William 1
- Landmarks Society of Alexandria, Virginia 1
- McNulty, Robert H., 1940- 1
- Mourot, Arthur J., Dr. (Arthur James), 1904-1998 1
- Norris, Hannon E. (Hannon Edwards), 1898-1962 1
- North Old Town Independent Citizens Association. NOTICe 1
- Old Alexandria Restoration, Inc. (1960-1971) 1
- Spandorf, Lily 1
- Stabler family 1
- Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Shop 1 ∧ less