Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Content Description Nathaniel’s papers related to business and to the New York Life Insurance Company. There are also letters from Nathaniel to Samuel during the Civil War years. Letters to Samuel from relatives, including his sisters Effie and Fannie and his mother Jane, contain commentary on the Civil War. At different times during the war Samuel was in New Orleans, Manassas and Petersburg. There are Confederate passes among his papers. There is also an 1865 letter from Samuel to his mother about his return...
Content Description The Daniel O'Sullivan collection consists of business records and correspondence related to Daniel Sullivan and his son Michael R. Sullivan who owned and operated a rooming house, and wholesale grocery and liquor store in the 1850s-1940s. Items also include a letter from Jeremiah O'Brien who fought for the 26th Regiment of the New York Volunteer Infantry and writes concerning battles fought during 1861-1862.
Collection — Assorted Box: 1
Content Description Most of these papers are letters from Henry C. Hart to his parents, John and Mary Nixon, who also received two letters from their nephew, John C. Hart. The letters relate to camp life in a number of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. locations: Soldiers Rest, Alexandria; Camp or Fort Reynolds, D.C.; Fort Sumner, D.C.; Rectortown, Fauquier County; Vienna, Virginia; Flint Hill, Rappahannock County; and Fairfax Station. Henry writes about breaking colts for the army, his health, wounded...
Dates: 1864 - 1872
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description The collection is primarily focused on Williams' membership in the Washington Light Infantry, his published and unpublished works on proper performance of various military duties, and his work for the Coast Survey. The collection contains a work log from his days at the Coast Survey, correspondence received by Williams, and his published and unpublished works, including one which was written over part of a daily log from his service in the D.C. Militia Infantry.
Dates: 1842-1885 (Bulk 1853-1862)
Content Description The bulk of these papers are correspondence (letters) between Lucius Bellinger Northrop (Charleston, SC and Anne Arundel County, MD) and R. Jones, Adjutant General of the United States Army (Washington, DC). The correspondence refers to Northrop's inability to perform military duty due to his knee wound and to the desire of the Adjutant General's Office for Northrop to return to his post. Included are doctor's statements reporting on Northrop's physical condition, as well as the army's orders...
Content Description This collection consists of three series related to the McKnight, Piercy, and Jacobs families. In each series there are sub-series of letters, legal documents, and genealogical materials. Contents also include military records, harbor and ballast master papers, an 1849 inaugural ball invitation, and miniature portraits of William P. McKnight and Margaret Jacobs. McKnight correspondence relates to the Civil War.
Dates: 1792-1973 (bulk, 1800-1865).
Content Description The bulk of the collection is related to Montgomery D. Corse's military career, including muster rolls, commission and discharge certificates, and 63 letters written by Corse to his wife, Elizabeth Beverley Corse, during his participation in the Civil War. In addition, the papers of Midshipman William H. Peters and a few letters written by Mrs. Corse are included.
Dates: 1978 - 1994
Scope and Contents This collection contains items pertaining to the UDC chapter such as year books, publications, miscellaneous items, and minutes of the UDC chapter.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1897, 1919-1988
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents This collection contains a single ledger listing land in Alexandria and surrounding counties (Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William) confiscated by the U.S. from Alexandria citizens.
Dates: July 1863 - September 1864; Modified: July 1863-July 1865
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- Letters. 3
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Infantry Regiment, 17th 2
- Alexandria (Va.) -- History. 1
- Business -- Virginia -- Alexandria 1
- Business records 1
- Confederate States of America 1
- Documents, Legal 1
- Fairfax County (Va.) -- History. 1
- Forfeiture 1
- Loudoun (county) 1
- Mexican War -- 1846-1848 1
- Military life -- 1860-1870 1
- Pennsylvania Volunteers, 204th Regiment (1864-1865) 1
- Politics and culture -- United States. 1
- Prince William (county) 1
- Property 1
- Schools -- Virginia -- Alexandria. 1
- Surveyors -- 1850-1870 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Confiscations and contributions. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Societies, etc. -- Confederate 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 1
- United States Coast Survey. 1
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 26th (1861-1863) 1
- Virginia -- Genealogy. 1
- Virginia -- History -- Alexandria 1
- Virginia -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775. 1
- Washington Light Infantry -- 1860-1865 1
- Williams, L.D. 1 ∧ less
- Asher, George Gordon, 1872-1915 1
- Boush, Mollie May 1
- Boush, Nathaniel, 1809-1873 1
- Boush, Samuel Coleman, 1842-1918 1
- Calhoun, John C. (John Caldwell), 1782-1850 1
- Corse, Elizabeth (Beverley), 1823-1894 1
- Corse, Montgomery Dent, 1816-1895 1
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889. 1
- Hart, Henry C. 1
- Hart, John C. 1
- Lee, Mary Randolph Custis, 1807-1873. 1
- McCowan, Nathalie May Boush, 1883-1961 1
- McKnight family 1
- Northrop, Lucius Bellinger, 1811-1894 1
- O'Sullivan, Daniel, 1828-1904 1
- O'Sullivan, T. J. (Timothy Joseph), 1855-1887 1
- Scott, Winfield, 1786-1866. 1
- United Daughters of the Confederacy 1
- Williams, Lemuel Durbin, CPT, 1830-1865 1
- Worsley, Thomas B. (Thomas Blanchard), 1911-2009 1 ∧ less